What are Autobelays?
Autobelays are a mechanical device which replaces the toprope system and belayer. In the event of a fall the climbers is slowed and then lowered to the floor.
How the risk is managed for foundry members (unsupervised climbers)
- Our membership tests help us to ensure that climbers know how to use the autobelays.
- We regularly check the autobelays are functioning correctly.
- We mark off landing zones on the floor to make other centre users aware of where the climbers will descend.
How the risk is managed on instructed sessions
- All our staff have National Governing Body qualifications and are subject to an in house review process.
- The instructor checks that the climbers harness is on correctly and autobelay is attached correctly.